Check out this article I read the other day.
Should Christians Observe Halloween? by Robin @ Heart of Wisdom
Here's a small tidbit:
"The verse says, 'come out from among them, says the Lord.' Does that mean come out from among them–but don’t deprive your children from all that fun and candy — celebrate the same pagan ritual in your church building? The Bible is very clear about Christians being involved in such celebrations.
Ephesians 5:8-11 says, For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth, finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them."
Sacagawea. That's who I was the one and only time I remember dressing up on Halloween. We went to the Harvest Festival at our church and I wore the costume my Mom had made me for a Thanksgiving play the year before. My brother was a cowboy, (because that was an easy costume to come up with) and I can't remember what my sister was. That's how important Halloween was to us growing up. The only time we ever went trick-or-treating, Mom dropped us off about 5 houses away on the way home from the Harvest Festival and we got one door to open.
My husband, on the other hand, was allowed to wear a vampire costume when he was 5 yrs old, and it didn't stop there. They never missed a single Halloween, never skipped a single house. The whole family looked forward to the tradition.
Quite a contrast in experiences, eh? So, how did we come to the agreement that Halloween was not a holiday that would be observed in our house? Well, after taking part in a few "Trunk or Treat" and "Fall Festival" celebrations, we started feeling convicted about it. Hubby and I prayed about the feelings of hypocrisy we experienced by taking part in what is truly a pagan holiday. We decided that we were definitely compromising by dressing our children up to go do an "alternative" celebration versus the actual knocking on doors. What's the difference? In truth, there is none. So, we came to the conclusion that Halloween is not for us.
I know that some groups (that I really respect) like to use it as a time to pass out Bible tracts. If we didn't have small children, we might consider that, but I don't want them exposed to the evil costumes that do show up. No matter how many cute little princesses and super heroes come knocking, some kid is always wearing a Dracula or "Scream mask" costume. I just don't feel the need to even entertain that at my door. So, if our children want to dress up as firefighters or knights, that's great! We just won't be doing it on Halloween. :-)
Go check out her article, you might find some interesting facts there. Especially the part about Halloween being the biggest holiday of the year for witches. Witches who wouldn't even consider celebrating Christmas "just 'cause it's fun." Something to think about.

No comments:
Post a Comment