Have you seen the story about Abby Sunderland? The 16 year old girl from Thousand Oaks, CA who was attempting a solo-circumnavigation of the globe? I've been following the news about her for the past few days. My first reaction was, "Who on earth would let a 16 year old girl go around the world in a sailboat by herself?!"
Then, after reading more about her family, and seeing that they have been teaching and training her to be a self-sufficient sailor since she was a small child, I changed my thinking. How neat that this family has taught their daughter the valuable life skills that their particular family excels in. They also gave her the knowledge and the confidence to go out and do it on her own.
When plenty of other 16 year olds are only thinking about their latest crush, or spending hours a day playing video games, this young lady was brave and smart enough to conquer the ocean, alone. I am so glad to see that she was rescued from her damaged boat and is beginning the long trip back home via French and Indian ships.
So, when Guilt-Free Homeschooling posted this comment yesterday on FB, it made me stop and think.
"In light of the Abby Sunderland story, consider this: What is *your* child's "sailboat"? How can you equip your children to follow their dreams? Think about it."
I don't know what my children will have as their "sailboat," but I hope I am the kind of Mom who can support them when we finally see it.

No comments:
Post a Comment