About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Essential Oils and the Chicken Pox

Hurray!  We had the chicken pox hit our house over the past few weeks.  :-)  Someone at church had them, and they just spread like wildfire after that.   They aren't as common as they were when I was younger, mainly due to the vaccination being given now to children at a young age.   But, believe it or not, you CAN still contract the pox even with the vaccination.  You also need to get a booster every few years in order for the vaccination to have full effectiveness..  Hmm.   With all that info, we decided to just take our chances and not get that particular shot.

Last year, Halia had what I believed to be chicken pox, but we couldn't really get it confirmed b/c she had such a small case.   Probably only about 15-20 bumps.   I was brand new to essential oils then, but I used Thieves on her liberally every day.   We kept her fever down and the bumps disappeared after a week.
This time, when we heard about someone having chicken pox, we kept an eye on Baby Zeb. Sure enough, I started seeing little red dots appearing.   He was cranky and had a fever, but is still too little to try and scratch.  Thankful for that!   This time, I tried using tea tree essential oil and lavender oil because they both have anti-viral properties.   He also had the cough that is often associated chicken pox, so I used a respiratory blend on him at night.   He hasn't developed more than 20 bumps and has seemed completely fine otherwise.  I think we're probably in the clear now.  Sigh of relief.

Whew!  I can remember being confined at home with my siblings for 3 weeks and scratching miserably when I had the chicken pox!  I'm pretty sure all we used was chewable aspirin and Calamine lotion.  My poor Mom.   I'm so thankful for the knowledge that using essential oils has given us!

1 comment:

Micah said...

EO's do amazing things! Personally when I smell EOs I think that it is the most pure scent straight from God our Creator... God's perfume... healing power straight from Him.

Radical | A book by David Platt