About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Uncle

Well, I said the other day that my uncle had passed away, but I didn't give you any clue as to what happened. I hope I get all the details right, but I will update this if I don't. My Dad's younger brother, Randy, has had cancer twice in the past year. He went into remission from both of those times, but was left with pancreatitis(?) and having his gall bladder removed. My cousin also said it left him malnourished and his body really weak from all the chemotherapy/radiation, etc. So, he had been in the hospital off and on for 12 weeks when he finally started going downhill rapidly two weeks ago. They had heavily sedated him until late Sunday night. Once they removed his breathing tube, he was able to communicate with his kids for a little while until the pain became too much. They gave him some more medicine to induce a coma-state and he passed away Monday morning with his three sons around him.

It's really sad for our family, because this was the sibling/brother my Dad was closest too. Which means that we were always closer to his kids/our cousins also. His three boys are pretty much the same ages as my sister, brother and I. It's no fun for them to have to be the ones taking care of their Dad's things, insurance, financial burdens, etc. But, there's no one else to do it for them..... The three of us totally understand, as the mess from our Dad's "estate" has yet to be completely resolved. It's also sad for my grandmother, because two of her children have passed away within the year. Both from really sad circumstances, as well.

They were able to buy the grave right beside my Dad, so my uncle is being buried right beside him. That's somewhat comforting, to know that we can have this little piece where family members are. Not that they are "there," but it helps to "visit" them all at the same time. It sure was a lot easier when people just had a family graveyard on their own land. You didn't have to pay someone for the right to be properly buried. No silly messing around with funeral homes and all their legalities. The expenses people have to pay are absolutely ridiculous! When someone is grieving the loss of their loved ones, it sure doesn't make it easier to have to shell out thousands of dollars, just to lay the body at rest! Ugh, well, enough of my soapbox.

Anyway, we'll miss you Uncle Randy.

No comments:

Radical | A book by David Platt