Well, I have struggled with posting anything related to our homeschooling lately. I think I was partly concerned with any sort of criticism, but I also didn't want to discourage anyone who might be considering it. Then, I thought about it, and realized, it's just not realistic to think that homeschooling is an easy-breezy laughable experience all the time! I have never heard of any teacher anywhere who had perfect, compliant students who never had struggles with learning or behavior. If you know of one, let me know!
So, that being said, I will honestly share with you that we have been having some attitude and "desire to learn" issues around here. XMan is the only one in "school." It takes me about an hour, MAX, to do his kindergarten lessons and to do our memorization/catechism stuff for church. This usually happens after he has played outside for an hour in the morning, done chores, and played with his brother. Not an incredibly tough schedule so far, right? Yet, when we sit down to go over his school, you would think the world was coming to an end! The whining, complaining, even TEARS over doing a simple lesson is driving me crazy!
When I talked to Hubby about it, he stated pretty confidently that XMan is probably bored to death with the work! He said that was his biggest problem in school, being bored & not being challenged enough. I could kind of see what he meant, X is a pretty smart kid. The kindergarten curriculum I have been using is very simple. It's also been mainly a review of what he already knows. He caught on to the addition in 3 days, and he was going around the house adding things up for the fun of it! After that, when I kept reviewing the basics, he complained that it was boring.
So, I guess I am kind of stuck. I don't know if we should go ahead and order the 1st grade stuff I was planning to use or what? It's almost March, but I was planning to do school until June because of the messed-up fall we had. That would give me plenty of time to get through a lot of the new curriculum. Does anyone have a suggestion for a challenging 1st grade level curriculum? Or an idea of things to just make this stage more challenging? He has all the basic phonics and letters down, but I don't want to buy any baby-ish "readers." I would like him to use real books to learn to read, but I am not sure what would be good to start him on? I honestly thought he would take all year to finish this kindergarten stuff, but apparently I was wrong! If you've been through this and have any suggestions, let me know!

1 comment:
Well, what a problem to have! :) I can't say I'm into any particular 'curriculum' (or even know enough to discuss one), but by all means, find a way to challenge the boy. Do a handful of lessons per day, or mix it up.. have him glue beans in the shape of a letter, or fingerpaint a word..? Some kids do better with the 'all involved' stuff. I enjoyed the robinson curriculum for early reading stuff, but I don't know if it would suit your boy.. McGuffey readers are certainly old school, so if he likes reading about dogs, or hens and chicks, cats and rats, and naughty children versus nice... Well, and there's always the library, if you trust them. :) Good luck!
Post a Comment