About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hello!

Kicking my freshly relaxed tootsies (Thank you, hot-tub!) up in the hotel, using their Wi-fi to bring you guys an update from Houston! It's been a long couple of days, filled with lots of walking around, lots of people in booths trying to sell us stuff, and also lots of fun. We have seen some really, really good speakers and some not-so-interesting speakers. We also bought our school books for next year, some great family dvds, and the cds of all the good speakers we heard. (We basically had to get the cds, because Baby Girl, who is usually a bit more cooperative, didn't sleep through anything! Not a single speaker, even the boring uninteresting ones! She reserved naps for riding in the car between the conference and the hotel. humph.)

Our two favorite speakers were Jenna Dee Martin, of Biblical Discipleship Ministries, and Norm Wakefield of Spirit of Elijah Ministries. AWESOME. We actually ran into Mrs. Martin and her daughters this morning, waiting for the elevator at our hotel. I had no idea who she was at that time, but she was so sweet to us and loved talking to Baby Girl. When I heard her speak later, I was so moved. She just talked about everything I needed to hear at that time.

This afternoon, after we had heard the last speaker, and spent our last dime exhausted the funds we had alloted to curriculum, we needed to find something to do in Houston to kill time until bed. Even though it's not really our thing, we decided to go to the big mall, The Galleria. About 30ft. into the mall, I confessed to Hubby that I would much rather be perusing Tractor Supply than looking at Jimmy Choo(Chu?) or Dolce and Gabanna (sp?). This is also not your typical small town strip mall. It has all the big name stores, the ones where you spend as much on a leather handbag as you could on a used minivan. Yeah. Not my kind of thing. Hubby and I laughed as we walked around. We totally did not fit in with the "crowd," with their latest shoes, sunglasses, purses, incredibly immodest clothing, etc. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way!

Romans 12:2 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

But, let me confess to you, there was a time when I DID want those things. I did want the latest clothes, the coolest car, the biggest house I could afford, etc. Hubby and I were once a part of multi-level marketing company and they preached and preached to "Dream Big." Ever heard people proclaim this mantra? Some so-called pastors tell their congregations that every Sunday. "Believe and You Can Achieve." I am so thankful that God has opened our eyes to that lifestyle. He has brought us out of a spiritual waste-land that revolved around health, wealth, and success. A lifestyle that had nothing to do with God getting the glory for our potential successes, and had everything to do with ME, MYSELF, and I.

We used to go to conferences that focused on how to make as much money as possible. Now, we go to learn how to educate our children in God's Word. We get excited about school books, phonics and baby slings! We rejoice that God is teaching us about providing for our family, about the joy in making the home a HOME. Looking forward to everything else He has to show us!

1 comment:

Mollie said...

Awesome words! So glad you had a nice time and got the things you wanted!

Radical | A book by David Platt