We are so blessed to be at a church where families are celebrated, supported and encouraged in their walk with Christ. We are also blessed to be in a place that loves children, not just everyone's biological children, but adoptive and foster children as well. Several families in our church have been able to bring home, through adoption, precious little ones who desperately needed a real family to belong to. What an amazing opportunity they have been given, to grow up in a loving environment, with parents who truly desire the best for their lives. Not just the "world's best" either, but God's best.
Yet, this isn't always the case. There are homes all over our affluent country (yes, even despite a "recession" we're still one of the richest countries in the world!) that have empty rooms, empty chairs at the barely used tables, and people who are unwilling to see the need they could fill. In other parts of the world, children are going to sleep at night who haven't been held, haven't been smiled at, haven't been loved. Even in our own country, there are children who need to be rescued from the loneliness of growing up in the social services system. Every night, just wishing they had a Mommy and Daddy....
That's why stories like this one are so heart-breaking to me. So many people in this country take child-bearing for granted. They cut off God's blessing of children with birth control, they run to abort precious lives because they deem it an inconvenience. It must break God's heart to look down on these little ones and see their pain. I wish I could hop on a jet and bring one of them home with me. But, what I can do is pray, so pray I will.
"I left my heart there."

No comments:
Post a Comment