Tomorrow we will start our second week of school. Last week went pretty well. Hubby came home mid-week from being out-of-town, so interest in school obviously went out the window after that, lol. But, we managed to not get completely and totally derailed. One big topic around our house was Hurricane Irene, especially because we have family and friends all up and down the East Coast. Hurricanes are pretty relevant conversation around here anyway. So, this week, I plan to do a small unit study on hurricanes and preparedness. I went to NOAA and printed out some information.
We also implemented our new TV/video game rules. They are: NO TV until Friday, after school and chores, and on Saturday, also after chores. 45 minutes of video game/computer game time per day, after chores and school. It worked for the most part. There was a lot of grumbling and complaining, but eventually their imaginations and creativity started to work again! I did play a Jonathan Park cd one afternoon & they actually enjoyed listening to it. They usually complain that it's not a tv show...
We started our days with Bible time, then we do art or a craft about that. Next, I give Xman his assignments and he starts independent work. I tried to do the middles together, but had some trouble keeping Sister on-task. She is only 2 1/2 so, I don't think I can expect too much attention span from her, but it was a little bit stressful. I had them doing puzzles, etc. for a while so that Xman could do his work at the table. Next, we moved on to Sister playing with Baby Z while I worked with Little Man on his letters. That seemed to go okay, and she felt like she had a "job" to do. We had lunch and then during Quiet Time, I had Xman finish his reading and Math, his hard subject. Overall, it went well, and I know I can't always expect perfection!
Well, time to go organize the school bookshelves some more!!

No comments:
Post a Comment