Sigh....yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks that my little boy is growing "up." I let him go outside to play in his trucks and his favorite toy in the world, dirt. When I went out a few minutes later, he was talking to the neighbor behind us and inviting himself over to play!
Now, we've met them and he's played with their son before, so I wasn't completely astonished. But I still went to go follow him over and make sure he would be okay.
Instead, I got the "Okay, Mom! See ya later," as he ran across to their yard.
Wait a minute here! You're supposed to need me to wait around for a while... You're supposed to want me to help you open their gate and walk through... When did this happen?!
I walked back inside and watched him from the back window for a few minutes. No sign of reticence, needing his Mom, no tears (well, except for mine!). Sigh...
Later on, he was inside telling me about his fun playing with the other boy. A commercial came on about the new iPhone and he asks, "Mom! Can I have an iPhone???"
HA. Now, there's an element to growing up that I CAN control! That makes me feel better.

No comments:
Post a Comment