About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The 10-20-30 meme

Okay, I am just going to do this. I saw it on Aspiring to Simplicity and thought "how neat!" Ellajac put out a free-for-all tag, so I am following suit.

It goes like this: Where were you and what were you doing 10, 20 and 30 years ago?

30 Years Ago
30 years ago, I wasn't even thought of yet. My Mom and Dad were newlyweds and I wasn't even on the menu at the time. I came along a year a half later, though! I think they lived in a little trailer in Midland, NC, with a giant white Great Pyrenees dog. (Am I right, Mom?) Reagan(?) was President, or maybe it was Carter still.....need to brush up on that.

20 Years ago
I was 8 and living in Harrisburg/Charlotte, NC. I was in the 2nd grade, I think. I was in a public school combo class with 1/2 2nd graders and 1/2 3rd graders. They told us it was the upper academic level 2nd graders and the same for the 3rd graders. I don't know if that was true or not, because much later on in school a lot of those same 3rd graders were the flunkies.... Maybe they just tried to make them feel better way back then. :-) Mrs. Hayes was my teacher and Mrs. Rice was the assistant. I loved school and I was always pretty good at it, until high school math, that is... I was a happy kid, with one younger sister and one younger brother. We had just moved from Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church to Grace Presbyterian Church and I had a lot of new friends. Dan and I still call Grace our "home" church for NC to this day. (Of course, we love Hillcrest in TX too!!)

10 Years Ago
Whew, 10 years ago, I had graduated from Central Cabarrus High School and I was going to UNC-Charlotte. I thought I wanted to be an ESL teacher, mainly for Spanish. I loved speaking Spanish, and took 7 years worth of it. But, something wasn't clicking in college, and I was getting very disgruntled with the whole thing. My parents had separated and we were adjusting to that. I was working at a bank processing center at night, babysitting 3 days a week, doing office work for the family I babysat for, and selling Mary Kay as well. I was only 18 and the youngest consultant in our little Mary Kay group. It was neat, but I didn't have the time to put into doing all the "skincare classes" and such. (I later joined once again and still didn't stick with it! Guess that wasn't supposed to be my thing, huh?) Anyway, by the end of the next semester, I left UNCC and started thinking about the military. I taught preschool for a little while and loved being with all the kids. Meanwhile, I attempted to "get in shape," (which I barely accomplished) and then I went off to the United States Marine Corps bootcamp!! I was the only preschool teacher in my platoon...go figure?

Technically, that was 9 and 8 years ago as well, but you needed all the details, right? Well, I think I am certainly well-rounded, don't you? Now, my main goals in life are to be my hubby's Help-Meet and a Mommy to my wonderful little guys. And if I can get the hang of homeschooling, that will be one more thing accomplished!

Okay! Heather and Kim, you are officially tagged, okay? Go for it!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey, I like this! I will do mine tomorrow. Right now, it is 10:00p.m., and I am officially turning into a pumpkin!

EllaJac said...

Aw SHUCKS! Another person wiser yet younger than me. :)

I was SHOCKED the other day when I read those articles of the women in the military you linked to. My own brother and sister-in-law are reservists (air force) and I didn't even KNOW we had women in combat type situations. Very enlightening but sad.

Lastly, if there's anything you're dying for from MK, let me know! Some of my sale stuff is gone, but much yet remains!

Radical | A book by David Platt