My friend Rae emailed me this story about a huge black snake they've been encountering in their barn.
"There have been many close encounters with Blacky the Snake. The latest involve Blacky being in my saddle when I reached for it to saddle Trooper and then landing at Ann's feet when she opened the tack room door. Here is the last, I hope, chapter in the Saga of Blacky.
Blacky would have made a fine pet. What he really wanted was to be cared for, ride on my shoulders and go in and out of my pocket. The problem was that my heart could not take it. Blacky actually tried to ride on Ann's shoulders but missed and landed at her feet. He was, however, good for increasing lung capacity. I am satisfied I sucked in a record amount of air this morning when I reached for the tack room lock and almost had my hand around his neck before noticing him.
After the incident with Ann, the necessary supplies were ready in case I found him. With some speedy work, I had the confused fellow in a bucket with a secure lid. Then I went in to get a shower. (I was sweaty - Catching a snake is sweaty work.)
Eddie took him on a one way trip to the sand bottom. It better be one way. After being ushered out or off of the tack room three times, if he comes back he "shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy."
Proverbs 29
1 He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.
So ends the saga of Blacky. Please tell Xavier that Blacky moved to the Sand Bottom near the river. "
It's a good thing for Blacky he didn't show up at our house! Daddy's heart couldn't have taken it. (Shh, don't tell him I said that.) Poisonous or not, Blacky would've had a one-way trip to Snake Heaven, know what I mean?

1 comment:
Yeah, see, along with creepy edible (?) critters, Blacky's another Texas thing I don't think I could've handled. We might have rattlesnakes but at least they're shy. Usually.
Post a Comment