Was that an intriguing title or what? Basically, we have gone out to eat several times the past few days with the kids and they all ended in near-disaster!
The first time, the boys and I went on an impromptu lunch date with my buddy Heather and her precious Baby Girl. It seemed like a great idea, right up until Caed started losing his mind! The only thing that would console him was handing over a fork and letting him go to town in my salad plate. After he had slung quite a few honey-mustard covered bites onto me, I tried to recover the fork, which resulted in an even bigger meltdown. To top it off, his diaper leaked and he peed all over me. Sigh... I held him strategically on the way out, laughing inside at the hilarity of Motherhood.
Then, we went out to a pretty "fancy" restaurant for Nana's 50th Surprise/Not-So-Surprise Birthday party. She ended up figuring it all out by the time they got to Pappadeaux's. (Which is a higher-than-normal-on-the-price-scale seafood restaurant.) It was really nice, and would have been nicer on a date with just Daddy. But, when you bring two tired kids out to eat at 7pm, well, um, things go kind of haywire!! I tried taking them outside, to see the pretty water fountains and such. That lasted about 10 minutes. Tried going to see the crazy Lobster Tank, that lasted about 5 minutes. Caed threw everything within reach onto the floor, while Xav ran his tractor trailer all over the remainder of the table. Caed ran laps around the table, Xav hit balloons into people's plates.
We won't be invited back anytime soon.
So, I think we have some Table Manners courses to go through in the next few days, hmmm? Any tips on how to eat out with kids?!
Daddy's solution: Quit going out to eat!
Which might have to be the answer for now. I am tired of thinking so hard about which place has a Kids Menu, high chairs that actually buckle, or if they can mix chocolate milk at the bar, yada yada yada.
So, my conclusion: Just because a restaurant has high chairs, doesn't mean I should take my kids out to eat!

1 comment:
Your header looks great! I"m glad you figured it out.
No ideas on the restaurant thing, though. Sorry. Yesterday I took just my 8-week-old to town for errands, putting her in a disposable diaper for the first time since newborn... I was nursing her in the car, and she filled her diaper.. and her clothes.. and MY skirt! Stupid disposables... :)
My husband's diet has prevented us from going out to eat in several months, but I'm with you; JUST DON'T DO IT! Or request duct tape with the highchair?
Post a Comment