About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My 2007 Recap

Well, let's see... We started out 2007 living in the house I grew up in, planning a move to Texas. I had hardly anything packed, and was growing depressed about moving. Amazingly enough, God didn't even need my cooperation! He kept pushing us forward, and things started rolling into place. We had several tearful goodbyes with all our friends and family. Quite a few farewell dinners and even one yummy trip to The Melting Pot with the ladies from my Monday night book/Bible study.
Finally, the day came and God provided willing backs to help load the truck! We spent the night with some friends and the next morning headed back to get going. That is, until we couldn't find the truck keys!! They had mysteriously ended up in the playroom of our friend's house. (I promise, it wasn't me!) Penske cut us a new one and within 2 hours, we were rolling once again!
We arrived in Texas, to find out our work was only just beginning. God had some MAJOR tests waiting for us!! Including some unsavory behavior from family members and the loss of our family dog, Reagan. Living conditions were rough until we found our house and moved on. We settled in to our new church and met some new friends. We got used to Daddy's crazy schedule as a petroleum inspector, and learned all about ships, barges and shore tanks. We also learned the difference between crude oil and an R-Bob. Don't ask.
We saw Bald Eagles, crawfish and LOTS of mosquitoes!! Did I mention we encountered LOTS of mosquitoes?? We went back to NC to get the remainder of our things in June. That trip seems so bittersweet now, because it was the last time I actually saw my dad. He wasn't doing well, and looking back on it, I wish we'd had more time together...
We came back to Texas, and started exploring all our homeschooling options. We still haven't settled on a specific curriculum! We endured our first hurricane together, and in turn watched the world's-longest-shed-building ever. Before we could really get into school, I got the life-changing call from my brother that my Dad had taken his own life. We immediately took off for NC and Hubby drove us through the night to get there. The things we had to observe and decide there were harder than anything I have ever done. I would go through boot camp again; even losing our son was a different kind of pain.
When things settled down, we spent some time with family around NC. We went to the mountains, the state fair, and to our old church as much as possible. We left once again for TX, this time sadder than we had been before.
There's really no way to explain the hollowness you feel when someone dies in this manner. A feeling of being robbed, being blind-sided, of complete guilt and despair for those left behind. I found some wisdom by looking at the stories of others who had gone through our situation.
In the end, I know God will carry us completely through.
We spent the rest of year trying to be together more, to love on our kids more, and just rest in God's care. I hope 2008 will hold some exciting things for us!

No comments:

Radical | A book by David Platt