Okay, so I told ya that Monday needed it's own post. Here's what went on Monday.
We woke up later than normal, because it was dark outside. My kids actually didn't get up until after 6am!! It was a blessing, but it also threw us into a late start to the day. We had an appointment scheduled to go meet with a midwife that day. This is our 4th baby, and I was hoping to find someone who could do a homebirth for us. (I know, we're crazy people!) We had searched online, and only found a handful of midwives around our area. When I say "around our area, " I mean within a 4 hour radius.
I don't know if it's the Texas land mass, or the actual lack of midwives in existence anymore, but they are definitely few and far between. We could only find some near Houston or Pasadena. Both are an hour and a half away from us...
So, we finally got everything under control that morning, and left for Pasadena. With our trusty Mapquest in hand, we took off in the Road Warrior and went to meet this woman. About an hour into it, the kids are bored out of their minds, and the skies are turning black. Not just dark, BLACK. We drove on bravely, and made it into the storm. The roads are flooding, cars are trying not to hydroplane, and we're like, "All this for a midwife???" Gee, my husband must love me to put up with all my crazy whims!
We made it to Pasadena, and we had already decided no way were we driving out there all the time for my regular pregnancy visits! The lady was really sweet, and she has been doing this for 20 years, driving all over the area to help deliver babies. She even had a few patients in our town. I found that pretty amazing. Those people must be really hardcore about having a homebirth. Because I just cannot justify driving an hour and a half away to check the baby's heartbeat every month! Not to mention the gas $, the toll money as we passed through TWO toll bridges, and the headache of loading the kids up to go there every month. Plus, we would be using up one of Daddy's precious days off work to go.
So, now my options are:
A. Find a good Dr. and have the baby in a hospital.
B. Pray that some other midwife materializes out of mid-air.
C. Deliver at home and let Daddy do the "delivering."
HA! Just kidding! (I wish I had seen your face, Mom.) No, even though Hubby says he's seen it enough times, he doesn't quite want that responsibility yet.
Oh, and when we finally made it home, we went and put an offer on that house I told you about! We'll see...

3 comments:
Hm... Googling didn't find mine, though I certainly tried! You might try calling up a naturopath (check yellow pages?) and asking if they know/recommend anyone. Maybe that old couple at the health food store would know... A gal I know has a sister-in-law who recently studied to be a midwife and did that in Texas... There's GOTTA be some around. Mine has been doing it forever in this area, but even so, is not listed as 'midwife' in any phonebook listing or anything. Also, there is probably a "texas midwives alliance" or something, and they might have a list of practicing midwives in the state... I hope you find one closer (or that the doc/hospital thing is affordable, brings peace, and works out :) )! I'm all about the midwife, though. :)
Ok, I'm so weird, but anyway, you could always try contacting a midwife who is too distant to hire and ask for a referral. Like these or something. (truly I didn't go searching; just read my freaky mercola email and had a link to national midwives council and I linked and linked...)
As quickly as you have your babies, I don't suggest having a mid-wife who has to drive an hour and a half to get to where you are. Otherwise, Daddy may end up doing the "delivering" afterall. HA!
Post a Comment