About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

4 hours, 33 minutes, 26 seconds. Otherwise known as "The Interrogation"

4 hours, 33 minutes, 26 seconds. That's the amount of time Little Man sat stubbornly at the table, refusing to allow these four little words to pass his lips, "May I be excused?" We sat down to eat an early dinner at 5pm, hoping to go fishing for just a little while after we had eaten. That never happened, because we spent the rest of the evening watching the most astonishing display of self-will I have ever seen. This child is destined to be a CIA agent, I'm telling you.
We had an incident about a week ago, sitting at the table for 30 minutes until he finally repeated after Daddy, "May....I....be....scused?" Last night, however, he was NOT giving in so easily. He alternated between crying, defiantly exclaiming, "NO," staring into space, and trying to make me laugh. Each time I asked him to say, "May I be excused?" he would stick out his bottom lip and shout, "NO!"

No, don't misunderstand me here, this little boy KNOWS how to say it. He has repeated each word after us several times. He even laughs when his big brother asks politely to be excused. He just kept refusing to utter the request! So, when he was being so completely defiant and disobedient, we had no choice but to make him sit there until he could obey.
4 hours, 33 minutes, 26 seconds later........... Hubby and I both took turns being "Good Cop, Bad Cop." We administered the "Rod of Discipline." We tried to bargain. We washed the dishes, cleaned off the table, turned out the lights and let him sit there. He, of course, tried to get out of the chair several times. Each time we had to put his little tushie back in it and repeat our warnings. Bathtime and bedtime had both come and gone. He was actually begging me to go "night-night!" Finally, he passed out leaning against me as I tried reasoning with him once more. As I picked him up to go to bed, he came to a little bit, and there on his face was the slightest hint of victory! I couldn't believe it!!!!


This morning, I braced myself for the obvious confrontation that would be following breakfast. I was not to be disappointed, as we spent yet another hour trying to get that will to bend! I felt like I was trying to get a Mafia Boss to rat out an accomplice.
"C'mon, buddy. See this here Chewable Vitamin? You tell me what I need to hear, and this is all yours. All yous gotta do is open up!"
He stared longingly at the vitamin, and shook his head, "No." Big brother came in and laid a favorite toy on the table as bait.
"Look, I'll t'row in the toy too, you just say the four little words, a'ight?"

Tears in his eyes, again, shook the head "No."


Finally, I had had enough and I wasn't sitting at the table for four hours, I had things to do!! So, he got the "Rod" again and is in his bed until I figure out what to do!!!!

I can't believe this child's will-power!!! Now, tell me that children are not selfish by nature and they can always be lovingly reasoned with????? Because ain't even the Supernanny gonna get this kid to break!! It's all up to Jesus, now!

Y'all pray for me, a'ight??

3 comments:

Cayce said...

Oh, that is GREAT!!! I'm right there with ya ... going through the same thing with mine. But I think you're doing the right thing! Keep it up ... he'll break eventually, maybe.

Michael Paine said...

Maybe try for every word he speaks he gets a piece of candy like a skittle or something. I know it is rewarding his obstinate behavior but at least it would get the words out. I feel for you Jana...I will ponder on this situation some more and see if I come up with any ideas. Good luck to you!
Michael

melanie said...

Oh my! Stubborn little thing he is. I had no idea. Wish I had some advice for ya.

Radical | A book by David Platt