So, did you all have a good Independence Day? We spent the evening hanging out with some friends, and then came home to a fireworks display in our own neighborhood. The kids and I sat on the front porch watching Texans go crazy with their explosives. Hehe. Saturday, our neighbors invited us over for a cookout, where the kids had a lot of fun in the pool and "slip-n-slide."
When I was trying to explain to XMan what the Fourth of July was all about, he asked an interesting question. He's pretty used to the holidays we celebrate having a Christian theme. Jesus' birthday, His Resurrection, Thanksgiving to GOD for all He had provided for the Pilgrims. So, when he asked me "What did Jesus do on the Fourth of July, Mommy?" I was actually surprised that it took me a second to respond. My first (worldly) reaction was to say, "Nothing," but I caught myself and answered....
"Well, He was the one who helped all the men who fought for our freedom. He was the one who gave them the desire to be free from religious persecution. He guided them across the ocean on ships, and helped them make friends with the Indians. He gave them the rules and laws they would need to establish our Constitution! That's what He did on the 4th of July!"
He nodded like that made perfect sense to him and went about his business. But that question had me thinking for the rest of the day.... Our country sure started out with great ideas, big dreams. How sad would our Founding Fathers be at the "state" of America around us now. What would their "State of the Union" addresses include? A stern reprimand to the wayward government officials? A rally cry to the people to actually stand up for their rights and quit letting tyrannical judges and senators decide their fate? Would they be shocked and appalled at the all "amendments" and interpretations to their Constitution?

2 comments:
As a friend at work said who is a "good person" not a christian. Sadly enough he recognized that America in all it's glory is following all the same trends as Rome which by the way is the longest lasting democracy in history, yet it fell and my friends belief is that we too are only about 10 or so years from falling. Now I ask all of you, how do you as christians prepare to live in those times and explain what is going on to your little ones. Signed, Hubby
I've been having a debate about the 'goodness' (or not) of America in the comments section of my post on the Supreme Court... I feel the same way. America was divinely inspired, her founding documents were providential, her founders guided by God... But here we are. I'm not so patriotic when I think of the "modern" ideas of what America is.
Post a Comment