About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Friday, August 22, 2008

To Immunize or Not to Immunize?

Stumbled across this article this morning, and it got my wheels turning. Since the day I stood in line (in the Marines) with 100 other young women and men, getting stabbed with needle after needle, I have been wary of vaccinations and their supposed prevention techniques. When we weren't even told what the exact immunization was, or given a chance to refuse -which would have meant immediate discharge from the military- you start to resent the government's heavy handedness. Just a little. Or when you have to be vaccinated for the anthrax virus, and the injection site on your arm swells up the size of a softball, hmmmm, you start to question the safety of all these vaccines! So, this particular article bothered me.

"Vaccine-wary parents spark public health worry"

The parent in the article has chosen not to have her children immunized for everything under the sun, and it has concerned other parents whose children attend the same school. Her reasons are sound and they should have most parents concerned.

“If you read the list of ingredients about what you’re putting intramuscularly into your child, it’s scary,” said Margulis. “They’re not just giving you a little dose of dead bacteria.”

To further spark some interest into the issue, take a look at the way they use they stem cells from aborted babies to make some of the vaccines we pump into our children.

Fetal Vaccines

So, let me know, where do you guys stand on vaccines? As home-schoolers, it isn't mandatory to get the vaccines for school purposes. Do some of you get them anyway? Has anybody gotten some immunizations, and refused others? I think parents deserve the right to choose what is best for their children, whether that be schooling, vaccinations, what clothing is appropriate, etc. With the rising links between some vaccines and Autism, I don't think I can afford to just take what the government says at face value. Don't think it's just the crazy, right-wing, Conservatives who share this concern. Even Hollywood actress Jenny McCarthy believes vaccines played a big role in her son developing Autism.

Tell me what you think.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, let me say I am not pro-vax or anti-vax. I am in the somewhere in the middle. I wish I could wholeheartedly decline all vax's but the truth of the matter is that wouldn't be a safe choice. There are too many diseases that are rebounding from those decisions. I am being selective and delaying all the one's I choose. For example, our newest baby is 4 months old, he had heart surgery at 7 days and unfortnately I would be putting him at risk if I didn't vax him on some level. I don't allow aluminum or mercury and no live viruses will be used either. I love your blog. As a newly homeschooling family I admire your dedication, even in the midst of your preggo hormonal state.

melanie said...

Really wanna know? Kid #1 was vaxxed for everything, right on schedule. Kid #2 started out right on schedule then had an adverse reaction. Kid #3 has had a few vaxxes. I did discuss this with his doctor who listened to what I was saying and said "I understand" and hasn't brought it up again. Of the ones #3 hasn't had, I know we will eventually get one of them. One we won't be getting, period, and one is still iffy, but I'm leaning to no with it too.

btw - I used to be one of those people who would be upset to hear of mamas not vaxxing their kids for fear that it would affect MY kids. It wasn't until #2's reaction and then some research I did when #3 was a baby that I reached the decision to at least delay, if not discontinue the vaxing altogether.

MamaJ said...

I actually share some similarities with both of you, Melanie and Anon. Baby#1 got most of his right on time, until about age 2 1/2, when I stopped getting them. I was in the middle of trying to research it better when we had Baby#2. Since he had a heart defect, and multiple surgeries, he probably would have gotten all of his right on schedule, had he lived. I can see how not getting certain vaccinations for him could have compromised his health even more. Baby#3 has had some of his. He had a reaction after the Chicken pox vax. It was a "shingles-like" rash that was very painful and hard to get rid of. It could also in his life, so that was a little freaky. Baby#4 might have some of hers done, but definitely not at the ripe old age of 2 months old. I think we will be holding off until we feel comfortable with it.

MamaJ said...

Um, I meant to put "re-occur" in his life for Baby#3. Pregnancy Brain...

Jessica said...

here i go....
this is a hot topic with me.
luke got all of his shots up until 18 months and has gotten a couple since then, but not all that they recommend. when he was born i was wary, but not very educated on the topic so i pretty much did what they told me to do until i started doing my own research.

ray hasn't had a single shot. luckily we go to a doctor that lets us choose what we want to do and isn't pushy on the subject at all. Ray will get one(possibly two) vaccinations, but probably not until the age of 2.

Treyson. When i was in labor with him i signed all the papers says that he would not recieve any shots whatsoever.

I am 100% against shots that include fetal cells. at least for us all of the shots that have fetal cells are not ones that we would even consider getting.

oh, and by the way, it is not required in texas that you have to have immunizations to attend public school. it is RECOMMENDED, but not required by the state. all you have to do is sign a wavier saying that you have choosen to not vaccinate. private schools and private daycares care require it if they choose too.

Christine said...

My first two children got all of their vaccines. Baby #3 has not had any. Sometimes, these decisions are so hard to make! I think there is wisdom in at least delaying some of them. Blessings!

Radical | A book by David Platt