This is just too ridiculous! I heard about it a while back, when Goodwill asked people to stop donating toys, due to the "lead testing law" that was affecting them. I didn't realize it was soon to be a national issue!! It will apply to all clothes and children's toys, even handmade ones! It should have been more directly aimed at toys imported from China, land of the lead-based everything. Instead many small business owners, and families who make and sell handmade goods, will be shut down due to the astronomical testing costs. Apparently lawmakers are too busy making up new rules to consider how this will effect the economy, and especially small business owners.
"The new regulations take effect Feb. 10 under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, which was passed by Congress last year in response to widespread recalls of products that posed a threat to children, including toys made with lead or lead-based paint."
LATimes Story
Handmade Toys Alliance

3 comments:
I *think* they're exempting thrift stores now, but it's very vague. Almost like, "yeah, it's the law, but if you're small we'll *probably* not go after you."
Why doesn't that make me feel any better?
Common Room has more.
I think it's so irritating to me because of the lack of clarification. They just threw it out there and didn't think about the ramifications of it. They must be busy "bailing" people out.
I received a petition via email yesterday to put a stop to this very thing. I don't know if it will do any good but it can't hurt. It is very irritating! Our economy is going downhill quickly and those of us who are trying to save a buck risk losing that option. The only place I buy clothes for my boys are consignment shops and thrift stores. Hopefully, this "law" will be clarified and we'll all be happy!
Post a Comment