About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Turning the TV off for good?

It's an idea I have toyed with for a while now.... Actually pulling the plug on television in our house. Maybe even just cutting it out gradually. Maybe going cold turkey and suffering the withdrawal symptoms Mommythe kids will inevitably have (whining, complaining, arguing, and then the final caving in of will)? Look what Trent @ The Simple Dollar says,
10 Financial Reasons to Turn Off Your Television... There are a bunch of money-saving articles on the site, if you have time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We unplug from time to time. We've even gone a whole month...but I just can't give it up for good. :) Right now we are trying just having the tv on the weekends. Although I allow an occasional Barney for Jenna when I'm sure no one else is going to get sucked in.

melanie said...

I've been tempted as well, at least to cut the cable and just watch mommy-approved DVD's when mommy allows. My biggest hurdle would be the ... ahem ... OLDEST one. You know, the 46 year old.

Jessica said...

I read melanie's comment and was laughing because I can totally sypathize about the BIG kid in the family being the one with the biggest objection. Up until 6 or 8 months ago were somewhat unplugged. we didn't have cable, so in the evenings josh and I would watch tv if there was something on 3, 6, or 12 that we were interested in, and Luke only watched certain DVD's. I was very content with that situation, but big kid, uh, I mean, the boss, really wanted cable...so we finally got it. It has been all that I thought it would be....a HUGE hassle. But I've made where I stand on the issue very clear and the decision isn't up to me. So unless lightning strikes(him, hee hee), then we will not be unplugging anytime soon.

But for the record, I don't watch any more tv than I did before, nor do I have a desire to. And for the kids, they still only watch shows approved by me.

The Brutsman Family said...

We have been tv-free for years. The first few months were the most difficult, with having to find ways to fill the time that was filled with tv. Now our lives are so busy, that we wonder when we ever would have had time to watch tv!

Radical | A book by David Platt