Yesterday started off bad. B.A.D. One of those everyone in the house ( including Mommy) is throwing a tantrum kind of days. No amount of counting to ten, separating siblings, spankings or even desparate prayers seemed to help! Just when I couldn't take another single thing, Hubby called and asked me to drop everything to go open a new account at a different bank. A task, I was definitely going to need to do sans-children. Quickly I sent up yet another pleading prayer, "Dear God, please help me find someone to watch the kids!" Most of our friends had gone on a field trip, across town.
So, I called the friend who always says, "Call me if you ever need anything!" Which we have - to the point that I feel bad even thinking about calling her again. But, they happened to be on their way home and she says, sure bring them over. Then I hurried to find an outfit that didn't boast a child-induced stain and tried to make myself look like I hadn't been ripping my hair out all morning.
After dropping the kids off, (who by the way turned into little cherubs at my friend's house) I made my way to the bank. It was right during lunch time and super busy inside. It caught me off guard when the lobby greeter asked me if I wanted coffee or anything. What? Did you just ask ME if you could get me a drink?
When the banker called me over to get started on my account, she asked if I was off work for the day. I must have looked out-of-place because I wasn't in a hurry to get back before my lunch hour ended. :-) At least, I'm guessing it was that, I'm pretty sure my shoes matched...
When I told her, no I stay home and homeschool my children, she stopped typing and looked at me. Here it comes, I thought....Oh,really? I could never do that. Instead, she smiled sadly and whispered, "I would love to stay home. You're so lucky."
I almost teared up thinking about how shameful I had acted that morning. How I had completely forgotten about the meaning and purpose behind actually staying home with my children. I had disregarded how hard my husband works so that I can be here everyday. And not just to be here, but to be here discipling and training these little people. Helping them to be the future men and women that God has designed them to be. Helping my husband when he does things like call and ask me to go run an errand for him, and *gasp* doing it with a cheerful attitude...
She then proceeded to ask where my husband worked, was it a good paying job, were they hiring, etc. We eventually got back to my account and got it all set up. In the meantime, God dumped a huge dose of humility into my heart and reminded me that no matter how exhausting the job can be at times, the rewards are eternal. I'm not lucky, but I am blessed.

4 comments:
Oh, ouch! Great post! I was right there with you thinking, "I have days like that, too!" And then you got to the punch line, and I was still right there with you getting humbled.
Wow. This made me cry.
What a good God we serve...
Praying now for Mrs. Bank Lady...
Wow, what an amazing lesson for all of us to be grateful in our circumstances. That was powerful, Jana. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment