About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

Last night I saw something that absolutely broke my heart. I actually couldn't stop the tears as I thought about what I had seen. Does God ever use something completely normal and "everyday" to humble you and bring you back to reality?
Dan was watching a show on National Geographic Channel about the Army's Cobra Firebase in Afghanistan. I have to admit, I am one of the millions who easily forgets that we are still "at war" in Afghanistan. Yet, there are still men fighting over there, away from their families, risking their lives everyday. This particular base was a very small unit that was made up of about 30 men total. They are living and working every day in the desert, working to rid the Afghans of the ever-present Taliban threat. During this program, we watched as the guys went out on patrols, doing small medical clinics in these desert villages.
I was astounded at the small, adobe-like villages, that seemed so far away from any type of farming, water, etc. The kids came running, shoeless, to see the soldiers and kept begging "Candy, candy?"
One little boy in particular caught my attention. His father had brought him to see the soldiers, in hopes of getting some medical help. He had a little bit of Down's Syndrome and he was just smiling and jabbering away, completely oblivious to his surroundings. This little boy had no idea the soldiers were armed, and there to help protect his village. He had no idea the Taliban is the local mafia and could wipe out his entire family for just TALKING to the Americans. He simply smiled up at the medical sergeant and kept patting his beard. He was about two years old and had the sweetest face. In the end, all he needed was a little Pepto, and he made the funniest face when taking the capsule, then laughed. Just like my son would have. Maybe your children would have too.
All of the sudden, tears just poured out of my eyes as I thought about this peaceful little child and his father who cared enough about him to keep him, and to bring him for medical attention. So many children with disabilities are abandoned in countries where adults barely get medical attention, much less a child who has special needs.
Lately, I feel like God has been laying a heavy burden on me to pray for women and children in desperate situations. Whether it be the "Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints" who are often forced to be the wife of a husband who already has 5 other wives. With their children, who are forced to call several women "Mother" and their daughters who are married off without warning at 14-15 years old. Or whether it's the women who are living in extreme Muslim countries, forced to live in subjection to every whim and "discipline" of their husbands. (I'm not talking about a Christian portrayal of submissiveness here. That's the right example of God's standards for marriage!) Have you read the book, "Not Without my Daughter"? Scary, to think that our own government could one day be so oppressive and meddling.
So, anyway, the little boy and all the other things God has been showing me lately have made me very THANKFUL for everything I have. I take so many things for granted. My husband, who works hard so that I can stay home with our children. His decision to homeschool our babies and keep them sheltered from the evil that lurks in today's schools. My children, their voices, even when they're a little too loud! The health my kids enjoy, where a small cold, or an ear infection are the hardest things they've endured. Even then, we easily jetted out to the doctor's office, and to the pharmacy for medicines. Thank you, Lord for all of the normal things that I have been taking for granted. Life, the air I breathe, the ability to get up out of bed this morning. And the big things: Salvation, Your Son, Your promise to return for us.
Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Radical | A book by David Platt