About Me

My photo
SINNER. Saved by GRACE. Living out life as a Mom, Wife, Daughter, Sister, and Friend. I love Jesus, my husband, my children, books, homeschooling and large quantities of coffee.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Thoughts...

A friend of mine and I have been praying earnestly for a precious little baby named Jacob. He had Hypo-plastic Left Heart Syndrome, the same congenital heart defect my son Elijah had. He even shared the same surgeon and the same hospital, and I admit, it was all a bit overwhelming as I followed his story.

Baby Jake went home to be with Jesus yesterday. Please say a prayer for the Warfield family as they mourn the loss of their little boy. It's made me remember a lot of what we dealt with back then.

When we were dealing with Elijah's illness and surgeries 4 years ago, we had a lot of friends who were in "Word of Faith" based churches. You know, the Joel Osteen types of churches. Where it's all fluff and about praying for health, wealth and happiness. Not that those things are bad in and of themselves, but that's not what Christianity is all about. It's about becoming Christlike, and sometimes that means we must suffer. If my suffering brings me closer to him, then "Jesus bring the rain," to quote Mercy Me.

As E's condition grew worse, we actually had one of those friends ask us, "Well...are you praying in FAITH?" Hubby had to hold me back when I heard that one! How dare someone ask me if I was praying IN FAITH, insinuating that we were causing our baby's illness by lack of faith?!

Now, I look back on that and think, how sad. How sad that they thought God's mercy and grace depended on just our prayers. Should we pray believing God can do miracles and that He can heal physical disease and suffering? Absolutely. Should we be shocked if He chooses not to? Sometimes His plans don't include healing, at least on this frail earth. Sometimes His plans include so much more. Elijah's death was the glue that held our marriage together. It has made me a better mother, a better Christian, a better person. His life and death has been a blessing to our family in ways that I can't even explain. That's right, I said a blessing. Are you shocked? It's only after 4 years of walking through this experience with God, that I could actually say, "Thank you Lord. Thank you for showing me more of your Son, through the death of mine."

The whole process of praying for, and now grieving this family's loss brought up an old topic for Hubby and me. When we went through our loss of Elijah, our friend/pastor's wife Cindy bought a kit from Caleb Ministries that was very special to me. It had a Bible study about losing a child, a book called, "Morning Will Come," and some other very sweet things for grieving parents. It was so much better than the bland little items the hospital gave us. We briefly talked about it back then, but I was very surprised yesterday when Hubby said, "I think you need to go ahead and become a representative for them." I looked at him surprised because I hadn't thought about it in a few years.

But, yesterday I emailed Sandy, the woman who started Caleb Ministries, after experiencing the loss of her own son. I am going to order their resources and hopefully I can use this to share something with other parents who go through the loss of a child.


Here are the lyrics to "Bring the Rain." I think they're awesome.

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You
with all that
I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly

Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed

Long before these rainy days

It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you,
oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times

So I pray


Bring me joy, bring me peace

Bring the chance to be free

Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll
be days
When this life brings me pain

But if that's what it takes to
praise You
Jesus, bring the rain


I am yours regardless of
the clouds that may
loom above
because you are much greater than
my pain
you who made a way for me
suffering
your destiny
so tell me whats a little rain

5 comments:

Kim said...

Awesome Post! "Bring the Rain" meant so much to me during my chemo. I remember one nigh just playing it over and over, and just crying out t God! How awesome is the God we serve!!

Love you guys!!

Cayce said...

Wow! I type this through tears as I'm taken back to that time as well. You have such a ministry with all you've been through and I'm so thankful that God is using you to carry it out. I can't think of a better person for the job. Your compassion and strong faith will point so many to Christ.

I love you for being so faithful to His calling. As always, I'm praying for you my dear friend. I'm so blessed to have you not only as one of my closest and dearest friends, but also my sister in Christ!

Jessica said...

Great song with a wonderful message. we played it at Treyson's funeral because it was such a wonderful representation of where our hearts were in that moment.

Anonymous said...

Jana, what a perfect read! I've also been praying Jacob and his parents through this time. He shared the same nurses in CVICU and the same surgeon as my little one, Joshua had. I have also lost babies! Twin girls Emma & Ella, stillborn at 28 weeks. So I know the pain they're faced with. I know the ups and downs that will surely come their way as they cherish the time they had with this precious angel baby! I attended Sandy's Bible study after I lost our girls and can't begin to describe the joy that overtook my life in knowing that my Father turns tragedy into triumph time after time. I think you would be a wonderful rep for Caleb Ministries! To live is Christ to die is gain! Many Blessings to you!

JESSICA said...

I saw your post on McMamma's site and you looked like someone I know...but after linking to your blog, I realized that you aren't. Oh Well! This song means the world to me! I delivered twon boys 10 weeks too early. The wonderful news is that after 7 weeks in the NICU they came home as perfectly healthy little babies. The sad part is that I lost my dear Nana during that time. Her funeral was the day we brought the boys home from the hospital. She was diagnosed with brain cancer and died within a month. She never knew my boys although she was able to hold them, her mind was already slipping. One day in the car as I was returning from buying a dress for her funeral (and my just had a baby & nursing body) I heard this song on the radio. I had to pull over to the side of a busy highway in Houston because I couldn't see through the tears. It couldn't have spoken more clearly to me at that moment. Each time I hear it I think of the blessing that God gives us and how He holds us through it all. Sorry to ramble...I just couldn't help commenting and agreeing with how awesome that song is!

Radical | A book by David Platt